BIO 115 NUMBER 5 TAKE HOME EXAM Cellular metabolism
1. 1 calorie = _______________ joules? Which one of these units is used in the metric system?
2. Define cellular metabolism:
3. Fill in this chart of metabolic terms/phenomena using the terms given
-gives off energy, builds large molecules, endergonic, breaks apart large molecules, uses energy, exergonic
4. This is a molecule of glucose, where in the molecule is its energy stored?
5. In metabolism, what is energetic coupling?
6. What is the energetic advantage of having reactions that are coupled?
7. Draw an ATP molecule and label the adenosine, the ribose sugar and the 3 phosphate groups
8. What role does ADP and ATP play in the typical cell?
9. Where in the ATP molecule is its metabolic energy stored?
10. How does ATP ‘power’ a reaction?
11. What is the difference between cellular respiration and cellular metabolism?
12. This is a summary of cellular respiration:
-describe what is happening here
-also, chemical energy begins locked up in the glucose molecule. List the places the energy travels as it moves through the process. Also, the energy is ultimately use for what purpose?
13. This is a simplified diagram of glucose respiration:
-describe in your own words what is happening.
-the energy of this metabolic process begins in glucose – trace the energy’s path of release through the process
14. Notice that 1/2 through the respiratory process, energy carriers accept and transfer the energy. In what form is this energy that the energy carriers accept and transfer.
15. Also, the energy carriers transfer the energy from point A to point B. What are these 2 points?
16. Are these energy carriers in their oxidized form or reduced form?
-FADH2 – -NAD – -FADH –
17. Below is a summary of glucose respiration:
18. Glucose is first transported into the cytoplasm and first goes through the glycolysis pathway:
-how many carbon atoms are in glucose?
-glucose is converted to _________________ by glycolysis. This resulting molecule(s) have ______ carbons.
-so what does the term glycolysis mean and why is it appropriately named?
19. a. After glycolysis, the resultant 3-carbon pyruvic acid is transported into the mitochondrial matrix. It is converted to ______________________ by the transition reaction.
b. however, under certain conditions, and in mammalian cells, pyruvic acid is converted to______________ under low oxygen conditions.
c. alternatively, in yeast cells, pyruvic acid is converted to _____________ under anaerobic conditions
20. When oxygen is abundant, the product from 19a. above enters into the Citric Acid Cycle (Kreb’s Cycle). Where in the cell does the Citric Acid Cycle occur?
21. Name 3 molecules that are produced by and released from the Citric Acid Cycle. _______________ this one carries electrons
_______________ this one also carries electrons
_______________ This one is a gas
22. Describe the electron transport chain: -its components
-how it works
-how it produces a concentration gradient -what that concentration gradient is used for
23. So, at the end of all of this, how is ATP made?
24. Describe/illustrate the cell cycle. Describe what happens during each phase of this cycle. Also illustrate how mitosis and its phases, along with cytokinesis, fits into the larger cycle.
25. Name the phase of these dividing cells:
26. What is the diploid number of the cell (going through mitosis) below?
27. If a cell had a diploid number of 10 chromosomes and was going through MITOSIS, how many chromatids in total would exist in the cell during:
-in the daughter cells
28. What is the purpose of MITOSIS in an organism?
29. If a cell had a diploid number of 10 chromosomes and was going through MEIOSIS, how many chromatids in total would exist in the cell during:
-a prophase I cell -a metaphase I cell -a prophase II cell -in a daughter cell
30. What is the purpose of MEIOSIS in an organism?
31. What is crossing over and when in a cell cycle does it occur?
32. What are homologous chromosomes?
33. What is separated by MEIOSIS I?
34. What is separated by MEIOSIS II?
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Essay Assign, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prices are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.