Academic Writing: Paper Outline
- Attention grabber (story, shocking statistic or fact, or quote)
- Background on topic and why it is being discussed
- Thesis (must be in form of argument with although and because clause) –see Sheridan-baker thesis machine for assistance. Your because clause should state 3 reasons in favor of your argument.
Body Paragraphs (what are your 3 reasons or claims for your topic and what support do you have that will validate it- facts, statistics, expert opinion, examples)
Claim 1 –Rape victims
Claim 2 –Socio-economic status
Claim 3 –Medical reasons
- What will the opposition say about your stance?Pro-Life (Conservatives and Religious)
- What support do they have?
- How can you overcome their objections?
- Come back to purpose of the paper
- Why is this topic important?
- What message should be walk away with? (this is where you can offer a story, quote or additional facts/stats to reveal the relevance and importance of your topic and leave a lasting impression)
Whatever your stand with this argument, it will always be your decision.
It’s your body, it’s your choice.